Recipes To Try
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 medium bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 2" jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp canola oil
- 2 - 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup flour
- veg oil
- In a large pan, heat the canola oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Sauté until the onion is translucent and the vegetable are soft (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a food processor, pulse the beans until mashed (or mash with a potato masher).
- Add the salt, pepper, and spices.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Stir (or pulse) in the vegetables.
- In a bowl, add the bread crumbs to the beans and vegetable mixture.
- Stir until bread crumbs are fully incorporated.
- Add veg oil to a skillet, just enough to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Place skillet over medium heat, to preheat.
- Form the vegetable mixture into 8 equal size balls.
- Dust with flour.
- Flatten each ball until it is approximately ½" thick.
- Place in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides (about 5-10 minutes).
8 burger patties
Pad Prik Khing Gai
(Thai Chichen stir-fry with Long Beans, Chili, and Curry)
[the title actually means: Chicken, stir-fried with chili and rhizomes (e.g. galangal, ginger, lemongrass)]
- 2 cups Long beans, cut about 1" long
- 3 Tbsp Kaeng Kua curry paste (or Prik Khing paste)
- ½ lb chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 2 tsp Palm sugar (or regular sugar)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- (Optional) 3 Tbsp ginger, minced
- (Optional) 2 Tbsp dried shrimps, finely diced
- (Optional) 4 Kaffir lime leaves, chiffonaded
Kaeng Kua Curry Paste
- You can use most any green beans in place of the long beans.
- Traditionally the recipe is that simple; but you can add things like bell peppers and onions, if you like.
- 3 dried mild red chilies (e.g. California chile [dried Anaheim], New Mexico red chile, Ancho chile [dried
Poblano], or Pasilla chile [dried Chilaca])
- 1 Tbsp galangal, sliced thin to go into the blender
- 2 ½ Tbsp lemongrass sliced thin to go into the blender
- 20 cloves garlic (approx 7 Tbsp)
- 2 ½ Tbsp shallots sliced thin to go into the blender
- ¼ tsp Kaffir lime zest, finely grated
- ¾ tsp coriander (Cilantro) root, chopped
- ¾ tsp shrimp paste, wrapped in banana leaf (or foil) and roasted
- ¾ tsp salt
Makes approx 1 cup of paste.
To make curry paste:
- Remove the stems of the red chilies
- Wash the chilies throughly and cut them into pieces approx 1 square-inch.
- Soak them in cold water for approx 15 minutes (10 minutes minimum).
- Add the chilies and all other ingredients into a food processor and puree until you have a very smooth paste.
To cook main dish:
- Mix ginger and dried shrimps with curry paste.
- Add coconut oil to a wok (or skillet), over medium heat.
- Add curry paste mixture.
- Cook until fragrant (at least 60 seconds);
(you should sneeze at least once if you just made the curry paste fresh)
- Increase heat to high.
- Add the chicken, long beans (or green beans), fish sauce, and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Cook until chicken and beans are done.
3 servings ???